Monday, January 15, 2007

Day 2 of APCA – Let us Prep

So I can this class is going to be a whirl wind of activity. Today we prepped out for tomorrow’s first day of service.

Our Menu is as follows –

Roasted Beet Salad with Baby Arugula, Citrus, Mint and Chevre

Grilled Pork Chops with Caraway Braised Cabbage, Yukon Gold Potatoes in Warm Vinaigrette and Onion Marmalade

Chocolate Souffle Cake with Mascarpone Ice Cream

I was on the pantry station so the salad was mine. My teammate was the new guy that just joined us – Dwayne. He’s a very nice guy. A bit slow, but we’ve been updated to his condition. The Chef writes things out on a big white board and the first item was the salad. It read as follows –

Roasted Beet Salad with the red and yellow beets. – Red & Dwayne

Ok pretty explanatory. She did ask if everyone knew was Chevre is. For those that didn’t she explained it was ‘goat cheese’. Everyone nods and makes a note in their book. Ok fine…but then one student raises his hand and has the other hand on his face under his chin looking ever so intent while he asked, “Chef? What’s a Dwayne?” I did the laugh snort thing and turned back to look at him and realized he was serious. So I said “A ‘dwayne’ is the man sitting next to you.” He sort of blinks like I was the one joking now. Then I said “See where it says Red and Dwayne? Well I’m Red and he’s Dwayne so we’ll be doing the salad.” Everyone laughs and the class continues on.

Before we get started our team was also in charge of cooking the pigs head and feet that came over from CCT. (A flash back is go back in the blog to the picture of me holding the pigs head) So I get that started and then we begin prepping out for the rest of salad. Dwayne says he’ll roast the beets. Ok sounds good. I get everything else ready. Once all of our stuff is done I offer to help out at other stations. They’re basically all ready to go I work on getting the kitchen clean. It’s amazing how the class is working together. Before this point all of our dishes were pretty much us doing them ourselves, with the exception of the few times we would work in groups. Now everything we do, we do as a team to bring an entire meal together for the rest of the students.

So far things seem to be very calm and organized. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Until Then!...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home