Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Day 25 of PCA II – And the Mystery Box Is…

Well chicken of course! We each brought in a whole chicken to practice our fabrication. Then we had to take that chicken and cook it anyway we chose. We only had to make one plate.

My dish? –

Oven Roasted Chicken Breast with Sage Dressing and Sautéed Spinach. I am so wanting Thanksgiving to get here! I took an orange and cut in half and used ½ of the fruit of it in my dressing and the other half I mixed into some butter and drizzled over the sautéed spinach. I also made a pan sauce with chicken stock and sage. Very tasty dish.

We had some pretty neat things come out of this. Carrie made a balsamic chicken dish that I swear made my mouth water. Eddie’s fried chicken had a crackly skin on it that looked just yummy!

I wish I had time to see more dishes but only got to really see the ones around me.

Oh then there was the other dish. Yet another fish dish. I cannot fathom why we do so much fish in this class. The only reason I can see for it is there are so many different types of fish – flat, round, shell, mollusks etc…but come on enough fish! I am a better swimmer though I bet. Tonights fish – Skate which is a member of the Ray family. We also made what looked like ravioli’s but without my book in front of me I cannot remember the true name. These were stuffed with mashed potatoes and some of the black olive tapenade. They are then boiled and tossed into a pan of browned butter. There were ok.

Tomorrow we start finals. I am very nervous about these. The first night we have our written test, knife cut test and 2 full dishes.

Pan Seared Chicken Breast with Polenta and Brussel Sprouts and a Mustard Pan Sauce
~and~
Sautéed Halibut with Potato/Artichoke Gratin, Spring Onions and Fines Herbs Beurre Blanc

The only good thing is there is no demo so once we do our test we can head into the kitchen and start cooking. I AM SO NERVOUS!!! I feel like I’m back in high school and it’s test day and everything you’ve studied for just leaves your mind…what’s a chicken? How do you sauté again?

If you are reading this blog at 6pm PST please think good mojo my way. (Gads I hope I don’t have to cook that up too…haha)

Until Tomorrow!...

1 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you alright? i am kinda worried since your last update is a couple of days ago...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home