Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 25 – Chefordy (insert theme music here)

Tonight we just reviewed 2 dishes and then played a game of Jeopardy….oh sorry I mean Chefardy. The game was comprised of topics and each topic had a set of questions.

Knife Cuts
Soups
Rice/Grains
Potatoes
Misc.
Stocks
Sanitation
Grilling
Equipment
Pasta
Herbs/Spices
Terms

We were divided into 2 teams and had to come up with names for our teams. Our team decided to use me as a mascot (I hope I get a really cool costume someday!) and were Red’s Rockets! The other team, the lamers…oh sorry I mean they couldn’t think of anything so kind of copied us Scott’s Bandwagon. (interesting choice)

Right around the time we were mopping the floor with them the game shifted and became very competitive. We each had our buzzer (a plastic clapper) and because of the echo we would ‘buzz’ in and Chef wouldn’t hear ours but only the other teams. That caused some frustration, but folks it’s a game. There is no prize. It’s just help us prep for the final. Yeah right….no prize. You wouldn’t know it by all of our actions. We were all so into winning it was scary. There came a moment when everyone was buzzing in and Chef Knight, aka Chef Alex, decided you cannot buzz in until the entire answer is given. So I’m holding our buzzer and ‘princess’ is holding the other teams.

**It is at this moment I must digress for a moment and explain that nobody in our class likes this woman. I won’t go into all the details, but suffice it to say everyone was thrilled to hear she was transferring out of our class to the afternoon class. Can I get a big Oh Yeah?! – OH YEAH!**

So as the Chef is reading the question we both jump the gun and shake our clappers with enthusiasm. She grabs hers and holds it so it won’t make any noise and points and yells “She shook hers before you finished!! She’s cheating!!” Oh hell no she just didn’t call me a cheater. I went over to her team and said “You buzzed in too!” And my entire team (slow motion kicks in and it’s like when the pitcher goes for the batter and the entire team rises up in a giant wave from the dugout to protect their pitcher) begins gesturing and yelling “Yes you did! You buzzed in too!” She starts in with her (get my way) squeaky, protect me voice “I did not. I did not buzz in! You did you’re the one that cheated!”and turns her pouty face to the Chef. As I realized this was going to get ugly real fast I stepped back and walked back to my team and just smiled. My team instantly started laugh at the absurdity of it all. We were joking how it was going to look in the evening news “Riot at culinary school broke out early this evening when a game of Chefardy went bad.” As we look up at Chef laughing she has this look of “ok kids enough is enough”. So we calmed down and got ready to get back to business. Of course ‘princess’ thought we were laughing at her, which made it even more amusing.

At least now we have an idea of the questions that will be on the test. We have 5 recipes to prepare for tomorrows test along with our written, knife cuts, equipment ID and herb ID.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, send me good mojo by dancing naked in your kitchen.
(You can post the images later)

Till Tomorrow!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home