Tuesday, November 28, 2006

King Crab Cakes

Ok so I promised pictures of these. Now keep in mind these we did not do in class. These were done at home. I had made King Crab legs for dinner the night before and we had a lot of meat left over. So not being one to waste good stuff like crab I decided to make these cakes. They were served with a spring mix salad which was dressed a homemade lemon vinaigrette. I chose lemon because the crab was very sweet and the greens were mild so we need some tartness to balance things out.

The recipe for the cakes was -
1 lb crab meat shredded
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
1 Tbl Mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbl Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
2 bunches of green onions (green and light green parts only)
Butter to finish
S & P to taste

Now for the bread crumbs I used a stale baquette and broke it up into very small pieces and did not use the crust. I then added about another 1/4 cup of regular bread crumbs because my crab was so moist I needed the extra binder.

Combine all the ingredients and mix well. I formed mine into patties that were each 1/3 cup and about 1/2 inch thick. I allowed these to chill in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.

In a big fry pan I added Olive Oil and Canola Oil so that it would come 1/3 of the way up on the patties. I fried them till golden brown on both sides, but only did 4 at a time so that they would fry and not end up steaming themselves. I placed them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and finished them off in a 350 degree oven till hot all the way through. (About 10-15 minutes) Once removed I added 1/2 Tbl of slice butter on the top to melt.

You can go one extra step if you choose but since I did not have any Panko Bread crumbs I omitted this step. Before browning, dip cakes into flour (making sure to pat off any extra), then into an egg wash, and then into Panko Bread Crumbs. Cook the same as above. This will add an extra crunchy texture. For those that like crunchy on the inside, add a can of rinsed chopped water chesnuts. You may need to ajust your bread crumbs to compensate for the extra moisture.

Enjoy!

 Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking dish!! A neighbor gave us two Dungeness over Thanksgiving weekend and I sure scrambled to make as many different dishes as I could with the meat (for 2 peoples) crab cakes was one of them.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, annonymous is the only way I can get in here, so I must remember to sign my comment! The above was from:

jean (cjs)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home